Installing System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) with SQL Server 2008 R2 or Server Core
Some time ago already had entered in the TechNet forums and posted this question. The problem is that even the SCOM 2007 R2, does not support SQL Server 2008 R2 as database.
I received a reply which does not solved my problem in http://weblogwally.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!a913f865098e0556!584.entry, but helped me to find the solution.
Important note: the same steps are to install SCOM on server core, only without the need to "Skip" the check prerequisites.
The following is a list of steps to achieve the installation:
- Open the DVD of the SCOM 2007 R2, it goes in the paste prereq: lines, choose the version and run the application prereq: lines .exe
- Make sure that only the SQL is indicating how error (Figure 1)
- Create a directory on your drive c named Logs
- Install the Database: MSIEXEC/i <DVD> \MOM.msi/qn/l * v \logs\MOM_install.log ADDLOCAL = MOMDB USE_SETTINGS_FROM_AD = 0 MANAGEMENT_GROUP = <NomeDoGrupo> SQLSVR_INSTANCE = <Servidor> PREREQ_COMPLETED = ON
- Installing services: MSIEXEC/i <DVD> \MOM.msi/qn/l * v c:\logs\MOM_install.log ADDLOCAL = MOMServer MOM_DB_SERVER = <Servidor> MANAGEMENT_GROUP = <NomeDoGrupo> ACTIONS_USE_COMPUTER_ACCOUNT = 0 ACTIONSUSER = Administrator ACTIONSDOMAIN = <Dominio> ACTIONSPASSWORD = <Senha> SDK_USE_COMPUTER_ACCOUNT = 0 SDK_ACCOUNT = Administrator SDK_DOMAIN = <Dominio> SDK_PASSWORD = <Senha> PREREQ_COMPLETED = 1
- Install graphical: MSIEXEC/i <DVD> \MOM.msi/qn/l * v c:\logs\MOM_install.log ADDLOCAL = MOMUI MOM_DB_SERVER = <Servidor> MANAGEMENT_GROUP = <NomeDoGrupo> PREREQ_COMPLETED = 1
- Install the Web Interface: MSIEXEC/i <DVD> \MOM.msi/qn/l * v c:\logs\MOM_install.log ADDLOCAL = MOMWebConsole WEB_CONSOLE_AUTH_TYPE = 0 MANAGEMENT_GROUP = MOM_DB_SERVER = <Servidor> <NomeDoGrupo> PREREQ_COMPLETED = 1
- The basic features are already installed (Figure 2), but if you want to install the other (Gateway, Reporting and data Warehouse) adapt the commands as we saw above including prereq_completed. List of commands: http://blogs.technet.com/momteam/archive/2007/12/05/opsmgr-2007-command-line-parameter-complete-list.aspx
Important: When you run each command to wait until the download server activity or view by Task Manager until close processes msiexec (it is normal to stay just 1) and open the log file shown above. Check at the end, some 20 lines before the last, the expression: "Product: System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2–Configuration completed successfully." indicating that the feature was installed successfully. If you enter an error code, check out the command or analyze the log. To find the error climb the file until they finish the line with the expression "Property (s)" and find what you generated.
Figure 1-Problem with SQL Server 2008 R2
Figure 2-Features installed successfully in SQL Server 2008 R2